A History of Strength and Unprecedented Growth
- Community Health Systems (CHS) was founded in March 1985.
- In 1996, CHS combined its corporate headquarters in Houston, Texas with the company’s operations group in Nashville, Tennessee.
- In June 1996, an affiliate of Forstmann Little & Co. acquired the company in a $1.1 billion leveraged buyout.
- In 1997, Wayne T. Smith was recruited as President and Chief Executive Officer.
- The company was again taken public in June 2000 on the New York Stock Exchange (CYH) at a price of $13 per share.
- In July 2007, CHS completed the acquisition of Triad Hospitals, adding more than 50 hospitals to the organization.
- Today, CHS is headquartered in the Nashville suburb of Franklin, Tennessee.
- The company is ranked #198 on the 2012 Fortune 500
- Affiliated hospitals across our markets employ approximately 90,000 people.