People come to hospitals at their most vulnerable and hopeful times – for the birth of a baby, a health emergency, surgery, the end of life. Local hospitals affiliated with Community Health Systems appreciate the trust of their patients, striving to meet their needs for quality health services and their expectations for a satisfying experience. Thousands of frontline caregivers are focused on evidence-based medicine, processes and clinical care paths that improve outcomes and patient safety. Numerous awards and accreditations recognize this commitment and underscore how important quality is to our organization.
Top Performers in Key Quality Measures
Ninety-three CHS-affiliated hospitals have been recognized as Top Performers in Quality Measures by The Joint Commission, a leading accrediting agency for healthcare organizations. Only about one-third of the nation’s more than 3,300 eligible hospitals were recognized for exemplary performance in using clinical processes shown to improve care for conditions including heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, stroke, venous thromboembolism, children’s asthma and inpatient psychiatric services. Ratings are based on accountability measures reported to The Joint Commission during the 2012 calendar year.
Patient Safety Organization
All CHS-affiliated hospitals are participants in an affiliated component Patient Safety Organization (PSO). PSOs were authorized under the Patient Safety Act of 2005 and are designed to improve the quality and safety of U.S. healthcare delivery. By providing both privilege and confidentiality, PSOs create a secure environment where clinicians and health systems can collect, aggregate and analyze data, thereby improving quality by identifying and reducing the risks and hazards associated with patient care. Currently there are only 79 listed PSOs in the United States.
Many CHS-affiliated hospitals have gained accreditation for specialized services, including:
- Advanced Primary Stroke Center Accreditation (The Joint Commission)
- Bariatric Center of Excellence (American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons)
- Cancer Center Accreditation (American College of Cancer Surgeons Commission on Cancer)
- Chest Pain Center Accreditation (Society of Chest Pain Centers)
- Get with the Guidelines Performance Achievement (American Heart Association)
- Joint Replacement (Hips and Knees) Accreditation (The Joint Commission)
- Spine Surgery Certification (The Joint Commission)